These days, routers are found in just about every home in Australia. Without them, we would be unable to connect to wireless internet or connect multiple devices at once. But how do you know which is the right router for your needs? The knowledgeable staff at Computer Alliance can help.
A modem connects your home or business to the internet. A router works by telling all your devices how to use that connection and manages the connection. It enables all your devices to speak to one another, without needing the internet.
A router does not connect you to the internet, this is why a modem and router need to be used together.
What To Look For In A Router
Most home routers will last for around 20,000 hours before needing to be replaced. To ensure your router lasts as long as possible and works optimally, you should look for the following:
- A multi-core processor with at least 128MB of RAM. Your router should be able to handle video streaming, gaming, file down loans, backups and more. Given this will often be happening across multiple devices at a time, you need great processing power.
- It should be dual-band or higher, this means it can relay the internet on multiple frequencies, helping to avoid speed issues related to congestion.
- Be able to be linked to a smartphone app. This aids in setup, diagnostics, password management and more. Smart home integration is also a great feature to watch out for.
- A USB port for connecting hardware such as scanners, printers etc directly to the router.
- Features such as VPN, antivirus, firewall, and other security features.
At Computer Alliance, we combine decades of experience with a true commitment to customer service. Ensuring you always get exceptional service and quality products. Call us today on 07 3421 3200.