In a world where laptops, smartphones, tablets and more can all be used to capture and transmit data, computer networking has never been more prevalent. Networking is the backbone of just about every business today. We use networks to access the internet, download email attachments, sending documents to print and more.
What Are The Four Types Of Networks?
While there are around 11 types of computer networks, the five most familiar computer networks are:
- LAN (Local Area Network) – For connecting groups of computers across short distances. LAN networks can be connected to WAN networks.
- PAN (Personal Area Network) – Usually consisting of a wireless modem, one or more computers, phones, printers, tablets, etc. Small offices and home networks are often a PAN network.
- MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) – Bigger than LANs but smaller than WANs, these networks can span an entire town, city or campus.
- WAN (Wide Area Network) – The internet is an example of a WAN. Able to connect computers across vast distances.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) – Extends a private network across the internet to protect your data, both sent and received.
How We Can Help
If you’re unsure of the best type or way to set up networking in your home or for your business, our expert team can help. Choosing the right network for your business ensures smooth and uncomplicated communication. Wired or wireless? Wireless frequency, access and network gear are all things you need to consider.
Call today on 07 3421 3200 or visit us in-store at our Mt. Gravatt location. Computer Alliance is across all aspects of computer networking and ready to help.